6.17.2009

She said "Yes!... but what exactly do I do with this?"

My engagement ring is a thing of beauty. Even more so because it was free.

Years ago, a married-couple-friend of mine from church came to me and told me that God had told them to give me a carat-and-a-half, princess cut diamond ring that the wife had lying around the house. Well, it wasn't exactly lying around the house. It was actually her favorite ring above anything else in the world (including her husband - now you see the problem), but... po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Hey, who am I do say "no" to God... especially when there's jewelry involved?

I promised myself that if I ever got married, that would be "the one ring." Not like Frodo's "one ring"... but close, when you think about my friend. Anyway...

Years later, my Frugal Fabulous Boyfriend-at-the-Time and I had a rough go of it at first. I had baggage like anyone else and was having trouble trusting this poor, honorable boy who just wanted to make me *deliriously* happy. (Was that so much to ask?) After about 2 or 3 months of indecision and gastro-intestinal distress (I have issues you're not prepared to deal with), I visited him at college and took him a care package with the usual stuff: homemade cookies, handwritten letters, a diamond ring, ramen...

The ring about floored him. But it was one of the best things I ever did. It took that big of a gesture on my part to let him know that I was taking a leap of faith on this one and I was willing to risk being hurt if it didn't work out, because - he was worth it.

Over two years later, he had it cleaned up and sized down a bit... and gave it back to me.

I'm thrilled to have it (and the promise that came along with it), but why didn't anyone ever tell me how awkward it is to live with? How you ask yourself silly questions about wearing it in the shower, or to bed, or when you wash your hands, put on lotion, do the gardening, pee... you name it, I've asked it. It's been over a month now, and I'm still wondering:

What exactly am I supposed to do with this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wash my hands with it on because I figure if my hands are dirty then the ring is too ha! I take it off in the shower because I use face wash, shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc. and I think that's too many products all at once. I try to take it off when I clean and do the dishes (for fear of it going into the disposal!) I've played basketball with it on but not volleyball... I wont swim with it on. I take it off when I sleep because it pokes me. I take it off when I garden too. Hope that helps :)

Eleven Cubed said...

Haha I feel exactly the same way! The first couple days I put it away to do everything and now I'm just too lazy. But this friend of mine who I guess knows a lot about jewelry told me to take it off when I sleep...probs not going to happen.